Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Far Reaches of the Galaxy

Lately,
      I’ve been having this fantasy
      that I’m travelling
      through the far-reaches
            of the galaxy

I’m riding alone
      aboard this spacecraft
      and there’s nothing to do
      except relax
            and see where I end up

Worrying won’t help you
      when you are millions of miles away
      from where you want
            to be,
      And I have accepted this
      and appreciate the nearby stars
            and my sturdy ship

But I am waiting for that
      garbled subspace transmission,
      (which I think will arrive any day now
      from the higher life-forms
      on planet earth)
      which says,
            “You’ve paid your dues,
                  it’s time
                  to come home.”


-Jim DuBois
1998

No comments: